Thursday, September 8, 2011

Settling In

After a crazy week of running around and getting the paperwork done, I can almost officially say I am settled!

When I came to Austria, I was not aware of the "work culture" here. Where in Canada, 40 hours a week is a minimum for a full-time position, here working 20 hours a week is common. Most businesses are open at 8-9am and stay open until 12-2pm. That's it. Banks are open until 4pm (Thank Goodness!) but most of the city closes shop at 12pm or 2pm. Very frustrating when you have a dozen things to do and only have time for one or two stops a day!

But I do understand why people do that. At around 3pm, the cafes are packed with people enjoying a coffee, a beer or an icecream, chatting with newcomers or family members. The streets are often alive with music, and people genuinely enjoy their day to day activities (as it seems less is mandatory here!)

Something I do want to update you all on is the University facilities available here. For practicing piano, they have (as I was told by a German piano tuner two days ago) 280 pianos available to the students of the Kunstuniversitat Graz. Here is a picture of the average practice piano available to myself:

Photo credit goes to John Dapaah; the other Carleton Pianist here this year! (Hope you don't mind that I stole this pic John!)

Yup, that's it. Bosendorfer grand. I've been in three different practice rooms thus far, all three of them have hosted Bosendorfers. It's amazing! The tuner told me about much better pianos than these (believe it or not)  in various practice facilities in Graz as well; I hope I get to try some of them out!

Fun story, last night I went to an event hosted by Erasmus, which is the student travel union responsible for most of the exchanges in Europe; hosted by the European Union. It was at a local pub, whose feature of the night (little beknownst to myself) was a small jazz ensemble playing American Standards.

Of course, as my new found friends here know that I am studying jazz piano, they were keen to hear me play, and insisted that I jam with the band. The band was happy to oblige, and I got to play with my first Austrian jazz band. As far as I know, they didn't know a single word in English, but that didn't stop them from playing splendidly. I had a smile on my face all last night! I woke up with it too. What a place.

Well, that's what's been going on lately. I have lots to tell you all about the intricacies of Austrian life, and look forward to keeping in touch throughout the year!

Thanks again for reading! And John, thanks for the picture - although you still don't know I borrowed it! haha

-Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment